🎮 Tales of Orelia

A zelda like retro game made while working in a studio simulation.


Role: Lead Programmer, Tools Programmer & Video Editor
Team Size: 23
Engine: Unity
Code Language: C#
Platforms: PC/Mac/Linux/WebGL/Android
Educational Institute: Solent University (Year 3)
Module: Mobile Applications

Downloads (Itch): https://lazytankstudios.itch.io/tales-of-orelia

This was a massive group proejct with everyone in the module working in 1 massive team. We were tasked to make a game with low spec limitation such as a final game size of 50MB file size. The module worked like a studio and it was tough, but good experience.

My Contribution

As Lead Programmer My work as lead throughout the weeks mostly involved communicating my both my team and the other departments in the studio. Getting answers to any questions people had and being available on discord as often as I could if I was needed. I also once again worked with each member of my team to assign them tasks for the week that suited their available time for the week and reported on what tasks were and were not completed.

As Tools Programmer As the only tool’s programmer, I have had a fair bit of work to do. Granted I wasn’t alone from week one but some students left the unit after the first week, so the department needed to reorganise which meant the other tools programmer switching to gameplay programming to help fill in the gap. My work as a tool’s programmer has been mostly focused on the colour changing tool as it’s a core part of the game. This was successful from week one and I have tweaked it since to fit the requirements for the NES style of game we were going for. I also worked on some editor extensions for a synthesiser and dialogue editor. I also made an item editor, but this was depreciated after a week when the design of the items code changed. In its place I made an item spawner to spawn a prefab into the scene.

As Video Editor Most weeks I spent my time either reording studio presentations or editing them. This was until week 11 where the documentary took all of my time. This video took roughly 40 hours to edit together with footage from all weeks of the unit. I’m proud of how that edit turned out, even though there are some minor parts that I felt could have been better.